Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Merchants, Markets and Mud

Today we completed our first direct instruction lesson! During our last class we talked about medieval times while we did our ice breaker activity. All the students came up with such amazing ideas of what it would look like to live during this time. Students drew themselves, what their house would look like and many other things! To check out these pictures view my blog titled, "Our first field experience". I showed the students some pictures of medieval times and asked them to compare and contrast their pictures. The students were very engaged and were ready to learn.

I introduced a word cloud to the students. Click the link to view my word cloud. I am a big fan of using tagul. Tagul allows you to create a word collage and create it to form any picture. I chose to make my word collage a castle to fit the theme of medieval times. It is a good method to introduce a topic. I asked the students to point out words they recognized as well as words they didn't recognize. This allowed me to pre-assess students prior knowledge and identify gaps in their knowledge.

I created red, yellow and green signs to check for students understanding. The red flag means that the students need help and we need to review the material, the yellow flag means we need to slow down and the students need some assistance, and the green flag means they understand the material. Through out the lesson I would pause and ask students to raise their green yellow or red flags signaling to me their level of understanding.

At the end of the lesson students collaboratively worked in groups to complete a matching activity. I created two posters, one with vocabulary words and one with the definitions. In groups students formed a definition for their vocabulary words and matched the words and definitions on another poster.

On the way out students filled out an exit ticket. If the students felt confident in what they learned today they had to write down two facts that they learned. If they felt okay about the topics they learned, they had to write one fact they learned and one question. If they were still unsure about the topics they learned today, they had to write down two questions they still had. On the way out they stuck the post-it on the emoji board on the door and matched it with the appropriate emoji face. Any remaining questions the students placed in our wonder box.

No comments:

Post a Comment